Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Nesting

Recently, I went on a weekend jaunt to Our Nation's Capital with Tim and his folks to see the Degas exhibition at the National Gallery. It was a great weekend - I really enjoyed the exhibition (once Degas got over the awkward portraiture phase!) and also got a chance to catch up with both my brothers as well as J and GSquared (who lives in Canberra).

On our second day there, trapped in a suburb that we seemed to keep winding up in, Tim and I walked into a Chinese antique shop and found some coolie old Mao propaganda posters. As not-very-wealthy decorators, the 25 clams a pop was the right price and the crazy old propaganda cartoons tickled our fancy (particularly the one about the Korean war, with China supporting Korea with money and food, and American planes being shot down in the background). Just before going to Wagga we had them framed, thus ruining the cheap as chips appeal:



Crap photo. I took it.

They are going to be living in the study (which is currently a dumping ground as we're in the middle of merging possessions and finding places for things in the tiny apartment). I had a horrible (but environmentally friendly) light in the study (a 'daylight' energy saver. Do not buy. Go for any other colour), which we have since covered with a Chinese patterned lantern. Go Maz shopping!



Finally here is a picture of some flowers (a better photo, I'm learning!) that we bought at my new number one markets, the Everleigh Markets at The Carriage Works in Redfern. Farmer's markets a few suburbs away with amazing flowers, produce and, well, everything! Hurrah! If I actually ever ride my pushbike there I will be living the dream!

No comments: