Thursday, April 24, 2008

Tahmoor bargain shopping

During my lunch break while on the road the other day I stopped into a junk shop in Tahmoor (a township in the Wollondilly shire - it's known as the most financially disadvantaged area in the 'Dilly and it has a myriad of social problems as well). It was quite possibly the best second hand shop I've ever been into. There were loads of the things I like to look at (kitchen stuff and homewares), not too much stuff that scares me (endless racks of scary 90s denim) and a few new odds and ends mixed in. And cheap. Oh heavens, so cheap. I found the most adorable kitchen set (which I really don't need as my mother gave me an awesome set of saucepans for my recent birthday). A kettle, a milk warmer, and two casserole type pans...for the grand total of $12! Hurrah! So I am going to turf my new shiny silver kettle - by turf I mean stash in cupboard - and embrace my new Tahmoor set.



It's Anzac day tomorrow, and I am off camping with Mel, her friend Jo and her cousin, also Jo. We're doing the coastal walk which runs along the coast (obviously) of the Royal National Park, south of Sydney. I can't wait - have wanted to do this walk for years and I haven't been hiking since we did Tassie in February. I am currently packing, charing my camera battery, baking lumberjack (for our dessert with warmed custard; I am on dessert duty) and packing bags of lollies and hot drinks (also my job!). It's only an overnight hike so I suspect it'll be fairly luxurious food and drink wise...we are planning on hot port and hot whisky to drink as well. Hurrah for winter camping!

No comments: