Monday, April 21, 2008

Team Eating

The third Thursday of every month, my team at work has a meeting. It's the only time when both teams (South West Sydney - my team - and South East Sydney) get together officially. And to make sure we survive the morning (it's a long meeting; usually half 9 to lunch time) we bring food. A lot of food. We have something of a reputation throughout the workplace: we think it's that we live the good life, but I suspect everyone just thinks we're greedy and gross!

This month, I made Lumberjack Cake. It's kinda like a sticky date pudding on the bottom, very moist and delicious, with a crunchy / chewy coconut caramel on the top. It has apples and dates and coconut, so I consider it virtually a health-bar type of cake (ignoring the massive amounts of butter, sugar and cream!).



I had only made this once before, after meeting a potential volunteer in a previous job. We met after work hours at a cafe, and it was like one of those sympatico date movies: we ordered the same coffee, the same ricotta tart, and then gushed about all the same foods. We adore the same patisserie (in Summer Hill, they make a pear brulee tart to die for) and she mentioned that the same patisserie made a Lumberjack cake, that it was divine, and that I would love it. So I hot footed there, only to be told that they generally make this cake only in the winter months. Needless to say I couldn't wait that long so I made it myself. I remember liking it but not much more.

So I don't really know what brought it to mind, but for the last few weeks I have been thinking about it. Maybe it's cos of the change of the seasons and I have a previously undiscovered winter cake radar - whatever it was, I was determined to make this cake. And let me tell you, it was quite the hit. Half of the plate was gone before the meeting even started! The recipe was shared around colleagues (one then made it to be served warm,, with nice cream, for a dinner party he was throwing the next night!). So, if you make no other cakes this winter, make the friendly Lumberjack Cake. It is indeed OK.

No comments: