Sunday, June 22, 2008

Happy Annualversary, Wrights Ave!

It's one year ago today that I bought my apartment.

I remember settlement day very well - there had been so many hassles exchanging contracts (I made the offer in March and we dilly dallied back and forth for months) and I was convinced it wasn't going to happen. I had the day off and Jacs and I got the key from the agent (and a goody basket!) and came over to check it out.

I love the feeling you get when you go somewhere for the first time, particularly somewhere you know will become familiar. Like a new apartment, or a workplace, or a venue you'll go to often (although this doesn't hold true for the gym, as I go so irregularly that it's new every time!). I remember the strange foreign feeling I had as I spent that first night cleaning. There was something wonderful about scrubbing my very own toilet. Mind, that wore off fairly quickly! The next day I moved in, and even then it didn't start to feel quite mine as all the furniture was new and strange and didn't look like my previous spacious house. I got used to it over the next few months, during which I was living with someone, and when he moved out I had to get used to it all over again. Now, though, it feels comfortable and familiar and safe, like a cosy old jumper.

I've done very little with it in the last year. One reconditioned water heater, as the original one broke within weeks of buying. One washing machine installation - taps and drains. One 'fire engine red' feature wall painted - badly, I must confess! The edges I touched up with a cotton bud, for heaven's sakes. New curtains in all rooms. I'm amazed at how different they make the place look, and also at how long I put up with the skanky sheets that were in lieu of curtains when I bought the place. But other than that, very little else. I'm not much of a DIY-er!

Next on the agenda - a bit more painting, and I have a few feature-wallpaper ideas. A new oven is on its way as the old one has been rather temperamental of late. I also heard one can buy tile and ceramic paint and that could be just the superficial makeover my bathroom needs! This is all talk, mind: I have little slash no intention of doing any of these any time soon!

The loveliest thing of all is the security. It's fairly unlikely that I'll evict myself, and I don't have to worry about the ludicrous Sydney rental market (mortgage rates are another issue but at least they're going towards something). I am always surprised at how much I love the security - I didn't realise how important that has become to me. I rather fancied myself a carefree type but no, secure me up, thanks!

So, hurrah for home ownership! And may this year hold slightly more efforts towards cleaning and doing up of property!

No comments: