Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Marrickvillains episode 2, 3 and 4 - or Why I Adore My Suburb

OK so I filled you in on our first Marrickville adventure. There have been several since, and with each new development my love for Da Ville only grows stronger.

Outing two wasn't really a group thing - it was a Sunday that Mel called and headed over with her pushbike and I joined her on an adventure. We rode down the Cook River cycleway and went all the way along to Rockdale. We found there a driving range, so we though, why not - let's be golf heroes! So we bought a bucket of balls (ooh! Accidental alliteration!) (and now...) had a hit around, tried our luck on a sand dune and used as much golf terminology as either of us knew, and some I suspect we made up. On the way back though we stumbled upon The Land Where Dreams Come True, or as it is commercially known, The Concordia Club. Set on the Tempe side of the Ville, and masquerading as a lawn bowls club, this little gem is in fact a German extravaganza! We pulled our bikes in to the melodious sounds of an oom-pah-pah band and the glorious sight of full golden steins. Heavens. We had tall beers with the sun on our backs, I was asked to dance (how could I say no!) and we eyed the menu...it had something with dots over the a on it! YUM!

Outing three was an official Marrickvillains event. We went to the Dulwich Hill(billy) Pub, where we had avo beers aplenty and a lovely time. There was quite a crew - ring ins from neighbouring hoods, admittedly, but who are we not to share the Marrickville love?

Then last Friday night turned into spontaneous outing number three. Mel was over for dinner (we cooked a Combined Forces Pot Luck. She brought the things from her fridge - carrots, sweet potato and strongbow! - and added them to mine and we made dinner. Red curry, so not as ghastly as the ingredient list implies!). We finished our wine and though, ah well, we'll go for a cheeky one and rang the golf club which is just down the road from mine to see if they were open. They were - and they had their monthly trivia session on! So we jumped on bikes, BMX Bandit style, and raced there. Oh it was fun! We lost by a disturbing amount (we'd missed the first two rounds) but it was all good. Shortly after we'd gotten there, a guy came over to us and asked if we were the girls who'd been at the Concordia Club a few weeks ago - he was friends with the guy who'd asked me to dance! I am not entirely sure how they knew it was us...but oh Marrickville I love you!

To top it all off, the next morning we went for breaky at Kelby's (not just Mel and I; two other friends came too - which makes the following even nicer). We saw one of the Mussel night guys there, said hi, and carried on eating. When we went to pay, the owner told us all our drinks had been paid for by mussels guy - and that he wanted to pay for our meals but we'd not ordered yet! Oh my goodness. Now, I can assure you this was not done in a 'creepy guy being weird' sort of way - rather, just a 'Marrickville is f^%$ing awesome' type of way! So we left money for his coffee that week and it's a huge circle of suburbia happiness.

PS - while I was writing this, my neighbour (who it turns out works for Home and Away, ha!) dropped by with a key for the storage room door and some lunch for me tomorrow, left over from the set! See? Everyone here is fabulous!

No comments: