Monday, March 10, 2008

Alphabet Soup!



Homemade stock called for one thing, and one thing only. Chicken noodle soup. And not just any noodles: alphabet.

These were a favourite of mine when we were little (which is not surprising: the noodles are cute and fun, and my mother's homemade soup is divine) and I was keen as mustard to try it again. Now, perhaps the youth of today are not interested in spelling, making words, or even just cuteness...because it was nigh on impossible to find the noodles! Teddy bear noodles, tick. Dinosaur, tick. Pre-made snack cans full of all shapes and sizes, tick. But no honest-to-goodness, cook-them-yourself alphabet noodles.

Conversation with Big Supermarket Chain Guy:
Me: Do you sell Alphabet Noodles?
Shop guy (gent in his 40-50s): Alphabet soup! (laughs). We ate that as kids!
Me: Me too!! So do you have the noodles?
SG: Hmmm we have tinned alphabet noodles in tomato sauce?
Me: No, no, I want to make SOUP.
SG: Hmmm we have chocolate alphabet letters? Maybe your kids will eat those if you're having problems getting them to eat.
Me: (injured) The soup is for me!!
My inner dialogue: And although I don't have kids yet, there's a world of difference between alphabet soup and chocolate letters.

Luckily, as I have said before, I am not a quitter (when I get obsessing, I obsess good!). On my third attempt, at a wee Italian deli, I found the object of my desire. Hurrah for Alphabet Soup! I am a dreadful photographer, and the photo does not do the chickeny deliciousness and parsley freshness of the soup justice, however let me assure you it was the perfect nanna meal before my netball game tonight (in other words, it's too early for a proper meal, but if I don't eat it'll be too late when I get in. So I eat at nanna o'clock).

Speaking of netball, I'll miss my match if I don't get a move on...

No comments: