Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Autumn

Tonight, walking across a sports field at Centennial Park on my way to netball (yeah I play twice a week; it's the only guaranteed way I'll exercise!), it felt positively Autumnal. I'm not sure what it was - perhaps that the lights was that tad darker than usual, that the air although balmy was threatening a slight chill, or that the trees were ever so slowly beginning to look more threadbare.

I adore Autumn, it is absolutely my favourite season. I'm not sure whether it's the anticipation of the change of seasons that I like so much - I like Spring for the same reason. But while Spring is adorable and fresh, Autumn is mature and cosy. Spring is the friend you'd go out with all night partying but Autumn you'd spend your Sunday with, savouring company and mellowness. Mellow, that's exactly the word for Autumn. I've always felt sorry for the Northern Americans, having their considerably shabbier 'Fall'. Really does not have the same sophistication at all!

I made soup again this morning - another very Autumnal thing (and that's another reason I like Autumn - how awesome is the word Autumnal?!). It was a spinster meal - that is, something that can be made cheaply, quickly and in a portion for one. Now that I'm living by myself this is essential, if somewhat depressing! Anyhoo it was an awesome Autumn soup, and I'm going to whack the recipe down so as a) not to forget it and b) encourage other spinsters (or bachelors, or very non greedy couples!) to make it too!

Chicken and Corn soup
* Chicken stock - a cup or so I guess (I still have some home made stuff, but any would do) (heavens - for someone who has only just made their first batch of stock ever, that was horrendously smug. I always hated people who did that - talked as if home made stock was the be all and end all, and now look at me! I apologise. Use any darn ol' stock you like, and then tell me where to shove it when it still tastes just fine!)
* Chicken breast (I used about half)
* A few spoonfuls of tinned creamed corn (gross! This was not purchased by me, I swear!)
* A glug of soy sauce
* Chives, or any other fresh herb that may go well such as delicious coriander
* Fresh or frozen corn, if you have it (I didn't and it was still good but I've made it before and it was delicious with as well)

Heat the stock, and poach the chicken breast in it for about 10 mins (I did this while in my shower). When showered, or after time is up, remove the chicken breast and shred it. Not very easy to do when you are trying to simultaneously eat toast, however it is manageable. Add the creamed corn, fresh corn if using, the soy and heat again for another 5 minutes (or enough time to gulp down the rest of the toast). Snip chives over the top, pack into cute lunch thermos, and there you have it - a Autumnal spinster meal in a jiffy!

I reckon you could almost whack some chili in this if so inclined - but it was bloody lovely just as it was with some hot toast for dunkin'. This spinster lark can sometimes taste AOK!

No comments: