Saturday, March 22, 2008

Maundy Thursday, Great Friday and Somewhat Sore and Sorry Saturday

Well, my Easter has, so far, been about a lot of celebrating. We kicked it all in with a work lunch on Wednesday just gone - the social club (which as of last year's Christmas party - when I drunkenly nominated myself! - I am now on) had an Easter lunch for all. It was a spread of DIY sambos, tacos, hot diggities and salad....and my absolute best thing ever - a chocolate fountain!



This is prior to the chocolate flowing freely (I was too caught up with dipping and eating to be taking any snaps!). It was heavenly - fruit is so much nicer when covered in warm fountained chocolate! The lady at work who own this also owns - wait for it - TWO jumping castles!! She is party central, obviously.

On Thursday I took full advantage of the public service half day and legged it home right after our big team meeting (which should really be called a team eating. It was delicious but gross...and we do it every month! One colleague had made gingerbread, the cakey sort, and another had made this sponge, soaked in baileys and then layered with chocolate mousse and coated in whipped cream and flake chocolate. I made a 90s style spinach-dip-in-cob-loaf, 'cept it wasn't a cob loaf as they'd run out.

You would think, after that grossness, that I would have sensibly hung up my stomach for the afternoon...but no. Naomi came over and we made baklava for a party the next day, drank lots of wine, jumped in the pool and made a few tasty pizzas to knock the night off. The baklava was fun to make - so much easier than I'd thought - and was a huge hit at the Good Friday bbq we headed to the next day.



The party was held by a guy at work who we hardly know. He came up to me a few weeks ago and said, 'What do you do at Easter?'. Not wanting to sound uncool, or like someone who doesn't have set things to do at Easter, I think I mumbled that I usually go camping (this is a lie. I have been camping at Easter once. I love camping, but it can hardly be considered my Easter tradition). He then said he has a Good Friday party every year, and as I am in his extended neighbourhood, I should come. So I did! It was actually a lot of fun - an eclectic mix of his neighbours, family, and one or two other people from work. Naomi and I went with two other friends, and the four of us mingled and drank Great Fridays (a cocktail made from vodka, elderflower cordial, white wine, apple juice and soda). The host served up a seafood bbq (although I was pleased to observe that a seafood bbq still included the humble snag!) which consisted of oysters (fresh), 'rock-and-roll mussels' (I think his concoction - they looked like mussels with tomato sauce and cheese on the bbq. I didn't try them as I was too busy gnawing on some crab),crab (obviously) and fish. Later, besides our fabulous baklava, there was the most amazing pav I've ever eaten - the bottom bit was almost baked cheesecake style, yet still meringue-y and good. I threw my congratulations on the poor woman who'd made it many times throughout the afternoon, and I now have a feeling she started avoiding me when I came to congratulate her 'just one more time'.

So feeling it a little today! Heading over to Bryce's for Easter Saturday Games tonight (which means I'll take scrabble but we won't play it!). He sent me a message saying that he read that alcopops (or bitch piss, as my sister calls them!) are going to be banned, so that is the order of the evening. Just in case we can never have them again, you understand.

No comments: