Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Feaster Funday & Fireworks

The rest of my Easter weekend was lovely - my folks came to visit on Sunday so it gave me an excuse to potter around the kitchen for a bit (and eat like a glutton once they were here!). I made a spinach and chorizo soup (courtesy of the weekend paper), roast lamb - it was Easter, after all - and an Indian spiced eggplant dish that I found on a blog (am I obligated to say where? Is it like a shout out?) and a pear tart tartin (a la Jamie). The tart was garnished with thyme, which I was a little unsure about, but it was de-licious.



My mum had also finished some curtains for my house:



They are now in my bedroom and although I recently turned 30, they are very childish. However I adore them as I think I always wanted a candy-striped room (and if I didn't, then I do now!). What's the point of being a grown up and paying a mortgage if one can't be dreadfully indulgent - like eating fruit loops for breakfast and nice cream for lunch, or wearing your pyjamas all day long.

The other highlight was the arrival of the firecrackers my youngest brother gave me for my birthday. I have not been more excited about anything, ever.





Isn't this one cute? Mel and I snuck down to the park last night after dinner and let this one and a bee-like one off thinking they would be sweet and innocent fireworks...but they were huge and I did a girly scream (OK, by huge I mean a few metres, but as we only expected sparklers you can imagine how scary it was!). We'd also taken down one called 'rock and roll' but we were too scared to let it go as it was about three times the size as the others. Pathetic!

Incidentally - when I was given the firecrackers, the bag was stuffed full of pyrotechnic goodness. When my parents, the fireworks mules, delivered it to me several months later it was noticeably diminished in size. I brought this up at the time but received no proper response. Last night, Mel and I did an inventory (little known to my fireworks thief/ves, there was a list of the crackers included on the bag). Several - including the intriguingly named 'King of Kings' - were missing. I 'spose at lease the dirty stealer had good taste! I call this mystery: The Case of the Missing Bangers. Any clues can be left on this blog (Dad or J, as prime suspects either 'fess up or at least dob in each other).

No comments: