Sunday, July 6, 2008

Baking, so hot right now

It would seem I have become obsessed with baking bready things since that time I conquered yeast (three days ago). I spent all morning scrubbing the holy hector out of my apartment - which was long overdue - and moving furniture and things around to make it feel a little different. And all I could think of, the whole time, was whether I should rest on my pizza laurels or move up a notch....to bread.

My bank balance clinched it. I'm povvo (sure I can afford bread, but I like the idea of 'making do' in depression style, and creating meals out of dripping, a carrot and some icing sugar). I had all the ingredients for bread, I had a clean house to mess up again, and I had a spare evening.

Due to the internet machine being frustratingly slow today, I turned to my ol' mate Jamie for a bread recipe. And he has several (I think from the Return of the Naked Chef). I opted for the very basic bread recipe, to which I could add said carrot and sugar if I chose.

I started the project cockily, it must be said. Yeast is my bitch! I know how it works! And sure enough, everything went according to plan. I'd opted to make the bread into rolls - that way I can use them for my lunches this week. With dripping. I was a little dubious putting them in the oven but within ten minutes my house smelled amazing and in fifteen I was taking out perfectly baked, lightly browned rolls.



How heavenly! I felt just like I am sure a new mother feels (mind you the yeast thing is harder to crack than the other stuff, so I feel I am slightly superior to a new mother). I make a scary mother, though, cos I ate one of the kids immediately. With butter. Hot from the oven.



They were awesome. Could have been cooked slightly longer, and weren't the lightest things ever, but they would have been perfect to dunk in soup or stew, and they'll handle my sandwich nicely tomorrow. Woohoo! Bread!

I'd have eaten the rest except I'd like to some left to carry on the family name (which, incidentally, is Glutton McGreedy).

No comments: