Sunday, July 6, 2008

Victorious Villains

Another locals evening on Friday, this time seeing the entire complement of Villains heading to the golf club trivia. We met for a warm up drink at the REM bar and then moseyed down. I had seen ads for $3.50 burgers and that lured a lot of hungry people along.

Sadly, though, no burgers. Instead a Christmas in July function, with the world's worst buffet (it was described as a cross between Cunny Chinese and boarding school food). Still we lined our stomachs (and had horrendous Christmas pud halfway through trivia, in case we'd managed to forget how nasty it was).

There had been a lot of pre trivia emailing as we discussed our areas of expertise. We had nothing to worry about sports wise, according to Steve:

Australian sport is easy-

Cricket – yes, they probably won it
Rugby – yes, they probably won it
Rugby League – yes they were guilty
AFL – Coke and Ice
Football – Harry Kewell
Swimming – 8,000 gold medals and yes they did beat the Senegalese
Dress Making – Ian Thorpe


There were more people playing than last time - and I was delighted to see our old friends (both from the Concordia and last trivia). Friendly competitive banter occurred throughout the evening - particularly as our two teams had a shocking first round and were both placed on 5 points. The next round saw us make no improvement at all (as it was the 4th July it was an 'American' round. There were two questions about Yankee Doodle, clearly two of the top ten things about the States! The second Yankee Doodle question was 'Where did he go?'. The crazy trivia lady insists it was London - although she changed her response to London town. Which makes no syllabic sense) (bad loser, anyone?!).

Come round three, though, and the Marrickvillains began to come through. It was general knowledge (and as Steve predicted, had a Harry Kewell related question as well as several entertainment trash ones, hurrah). We were kick-ass-awesome - we got them all correct (with only one phone-a-friend) and scored 14 out of 10 (bonus points you see) which took us up to second place.

The final round was entertainment, I think. It included 6 tracks from the 80s (and one arguably from the 90s...listen to me! I so want to do that woman's job for her!). I was hip with the 'Meatloaf, Anything For Love' answer, much to my shame. In between this round and the final scores, Jen was victorious at Heads and Tails, scoring a bottle of (scary golf club) wine.

Crazy lady read out the scores...and we tied for first! Much to the disgust of the other team, who demanded to know whether we'd signed in or not. We won $75 of 'Marrickville Money' - photocopied cash valid at the golf club bar. Which we drank that night. We bought a round of shots (frangelico, cointreau and baileys - which I believe has a proper name but is now called the Marrickvillain) for our team and for pretty much anyone else who was in the near vicinity. Just to spread the Ville good cheer.

I ended up kicking on that night with Tim - back to the REM bar until about 3, I think (and then a cycle home which I confess I barely remember. I went out to the bike rack today and saw I completely failed to bother locking my bike up - the lock was just thrown over the top. I suspect I was too pissy to bother and thought it might fool any likely thieves).

Trivia happens the first Friday of the month - and with so much Marrickville Money up for grabs, I reckon the Villains will return to defend their crown!

No comments: