Thursday, July 3, 2008

My Desert Island Food

If I were stuck on a desert island, and could only eat one thing, it would be pizza (I'm talking meals, not like singular food items. If it were singular food items it'd be...hmmm...a thought for another day!). Kate Hudson feels the same; she said in NW last week that pizza was her desert island food, too.

I have wanted for ages to make my own pizza dough and tonight, I am doing it. Well, in reality, I have been trying to make it since last night but the bloody thing just won't rise, dammit. I mixed up my first batch last night, and under advice from a website put it in the fridge to slowly rise, thus developing flavours (and allowing me to sleep). I didn't want to get up this morning until I remembered it and then quite literally ran to the fridge to see....the same sized ball of dough that went in.

Take two. I made another batch and thought since my house is cold like a fridge I should leave it out and theoretically it would rise while I was at work. Ah theories. I got home - again, running to see - and...nada. Well, a slight rise I think, but not doubled.

So...take three. I have just made some more (and with advice from a colleague, changed the recipe slightly to ensure the yeast takes) and have turned on the oven, turned it off again, and placed the (fingers crossed) rising dough in there. I am about to go and pick up Jacs after work - I have promised her fresh homemade taste sensation pizza. If take three doesn't work I am going to have to feed her a lot of champagne and try to sneak some Crust (the closest good pizza) in without her noticing.

Expect victory photos if it worked, and for me to hide the Crust boxes in my faux victory photos if it doesn't!

No comments: